Monday, February 26, 2018

Hi friends and those who accidentally click on this.

I was reading a lot in the Testament of John especially after the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ. The apostles after talking with Christ a few times, are unclear as to what they should be doing and looking for guidance turn to Peter who says to them that he is going fishing. As I studied this chapter I reread the talk by Elder Holland entitled "The First Commandment," in the which he talks of this experience. I love the portrayal Elder Holland gives it as these slightly confused apostles go back to what they know best without a clear direction to go in. Perhaps they had heard their call, but I don't believe they felt and understood their call until this morning coming off the lake.

Elder Holland talked about these verses with such force that I will paraphrase a little of what he said. First in verse 15, it says,
"So when they had dined, Jesus saith unto Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea Lord; thou knowest that I love thee."

After responding Jesus returns to ask him this question, a second and then really digging in, asks the burning question a third time. Peter, maybe thinking harder or perhaps confirming or perhaps even with equal sincerity responds to the affirmative.

Now why would Christ be asking a question like this after He had given them command to teach all nations? Here they were fishing! They were going back to what they knew best but leaving aside the weightier matters, the things that really mattered. Here they are, perhaps like I said knowing what to do but hadn't quite felt what they needed to do. So Jesus helps them to see the why in asking the question that should motivate all other things in our lives. Do you love me?

That is the reason we act. That is the reason we obey. It is the reason we strive diligently to serve and to share this Gospel and to lift all others around us to a higher plane of living. This is not an item for the backburner, this IS the flame that ignites the rest and it is fueled by that statement, Do you love me?

I will use Elder Holland's words to summarize, "What I need, Peter, are disciples—and I need them forever. I need someone to feed my sheep and save my lambs. I need someone to preach my gospel and defend my faith. I need someone who loves me, truly, truly loves me, and loves what our Father in Heaven has commissioned me to do. Ours is not a feeble message. It is not a fleeting task. It is not hapless; it is not hopeless; it is not to be consigned to the ash heap of history. It is the work of Almighty God, and it is to change the world. So, Peter, for the second and presumably the last time, I am asking you to leave all this and to go teach and testify, labor and serve loyally until the day in which they will do to you exactly what they did to me."

I know that we can be those disciples, and I choose to be changed forever by this message. I will return from my mission but I will not go back home. I will not go back to normal, I will live what I know and feel like Peter until the day I am called back to the presence of my Savior to very likely answer that same question, "Isaac, did you love me?"

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment